Rules And Regulations
ELECTRICAL SAFETY AUTHORITY “DEADLY DOZEN” ONLINE CONTEST (the “Contest”)
THIS CONTEST IS OPEN TO ONTARIO RESIDENTS ONLY AND IS GOVERNED BY CANADIAN LAW AND THE LAWS OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. SEE BELOW FOR FULL CONTEST DETAILS. PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR FULL AND UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE OF, AND AGREEMENT TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY, THESE CONTEST RULES (THE “CONTEST RULES”).
1. The Contest begins on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 9:00:00 a.m. EST and closes on Friday, June 20th, 2014 at 4:59:59 p.m. EST, which is a total of six (6) weeks (the “Contest Period”).
2. The Contest is open to all legal residents of the province of Ontario who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, except employees (and those with whom such employees are domiciled) of Electrical Safety Authority (“ESA”) (the “Sponsor”) and members of their respective immediate families. “Immediate family” is defined as parents, siblings, children or spouse. The Contest is open to employees of affiliates and partners of ESA and employees of their advertising and promotional agencies and employees of the prize supplier.
HOW TO ENTER
3. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. There are two (2) ways to enter the Contest:
- Entry via desktop, tablet or mobile device through the Contest Website: When you correctly solve any one (1) case during the contest period through the contest website via your desktop, tablet or mobile device, you will be eligible for one (1) entry into the Contest. To receive your contest entry, you must opt-in and register with the Deadly Dozen Contest and complete your contact and mailing information. There is no charge to register and your data will be used for prize fulfillment purposes only and not shared with any third parties; or
- Entry via Facebook: When you correctly solve any one (1) case during the contest period through the contest tab located on the ESA Facebook brand page, you will be eligible for one (1) entry into the Contest. To receive your contest entry, you must opt-in and register with the Deadly Dozen Contest and complete your contact and mailing information. There is no charge to register and your data will be used for prize fulfillment purposes only and not shared with any third parties.
*By entering via Facebook you agree that the Contest is in no way associated with, administered by or endorsed by Facebook and acknowledge by your participation a full and complete release of Facebook.*
4. LIMIT OF ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON, PER CORRECTLY SOLVED CASE, ALLOWED DURING THE CONTEST PERIOD (regardless of method of entry). In the event that it is discovered that an entrant has attempted to enter more than once during the Contest Period, all entries by the entrant will be void and the entrant will be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Use of any automated system to submit entries is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
5. Weekly Prizes: There are six (6) weekly prizes, one prize awarded per week for the duration of the Contest Period, of a Canadian Tire Gift Card valued at $100 CAD.
Grand Prize: There is one (1) grand prize of a Canadian Tire Gift Card valued at $1,000 CAD. to be awarded at the close of the Contest Period.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the following general conditions apply to each Weekly Prize and the Grand Prize:
(i) Weekly Prizes and the Grand Prize must be accepted as awarded and are not transferable, assignable or convertible to cash (except as otherwise permitted by Sponsor, at its sole and absolute discretion); and
(ii) Sponsor reserves the right, for any reason whatsoever, to substitute any Weekly Prize or the Grand Prize with a prize of equal or greater value, including without limitation a cash award. Any such substitution is at the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor.
PRIZE DRAW AND WINNER SELECTION
6. Weekly Prize Draw: All eligible entries will be entered into a weekly random prize draw to occur in Toronto, Ontario, at 5:00:00 p.m. EST on each Friday of the Contest Period (“Weekly Draw Date”).
Grand Prize Draw: All eligible entries will be entered into a random Grand Prize draw to occur in Toronto, Ontario, at 5:00:00 p.m. EST on the Friday of the sixth and final week of the Contest Period (“Final Draw Date”).
For each random draw, one (1) eligible entrant will be selected from all eligible entries received in accordance with these Rules. The odds of winning depend on the number of correctly solved cases by an individual and the grand total of all eligible entries received.
7. The Sponsor, or its designated representative, will make a maximum of three (3) attempts to contact each selected entrant (using only the information provided at the time of entry) within five (5) business days of the Draw Date (the “Contact Period”). If a selected entrant cannot be contacted within the Contact Period, or if there is a return of any notification as undeliverable; then that selected entrant will be disqualified and will forfeit all rights to the Prize or Grand Prize being awarded, in which case the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to randomly select an alternate eligible entrant from among the remaining eligible entries.
8. BEFORE BEING DECLARED A CONFIRMED WEEKLY PRIZE OR GRAND PRIZE WINNER, each selected entrant must, within five (5) days of the Draw Date, correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question without mechanical or other aid, confirm their mailing and sign and return a declaration of eligibility and liability/publicity release, which:
(i) Confirms compliance with the Contest Rules;
(ii) Releases the Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively “Releasees”) from any liability in connection with the Contest the entrant’s participation therein and/or the awarding and use or misuse of the Weekly Prize or Grand Prize; and
(iii) Grants the Sponsor the right to use the selected entrant’s name in any form of advertising relating to the Contest, including but not limited inclusion on the Winners List, without further notice or compensation.
9.9 If a selected entrant (i) cannot be contacted within three (3) attempts or before the end of the Contact Period (whichever occurs first); (ii) fails to correctly answer the mathematical skill-testing question; or (iii) fails to return the declaration of eligibility and liability release within the specified time; or if there is a return of any notice or correspondence as undeliverable, the entrant will be disqualified and forfeit all rights to the Weekly Prize or Grand Prize, as awarded. In the event the entrant is disqualified, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to randomly select an alternate eligible entrant from among the remaining eligible entries.
10. For the names of the winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by December 31, 2014 to Electrical Safety Authority Deadly Dozen Online Contest c/o ESA, 155 Matheson Boulevard West, Mississauga, Ontario L5R 3L5. Only the first and last names of confirmed Weekly Prize Winners and Grand Prize Winner will be included on the list.
11. All entries are subject to verification at any time and for any reason. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility (in a form acceptable to the Sponsor, including but not limited to, government issued photo identification) for the purposes of verifying eligibility to participate in the Contest or for any reason whatsoever the Sponsor deems necessary for the purposes of administering the Contest in accordance with these Rules. Failure to provide such proof in a timely manner may result in disqualification. The sole determinant of the time for the purposes of a valid entry in the Contest will be the Contest server machine(s).
12. All entries become the property of the Sponsor. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws. The decisions of the Sponsor with respect to all aspects of the Contest are final and binding on all entrants without any right of appeal, including, without limitation, any decisions regarding the eligibility or disqualification of entries and/or entrants.
13. The entrant agrees to be bound by the Contest Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final in all respects, and agrees to release the Sponsor and its Releasees from any and all liability, claims or damages arising out of entrant’s participation in the Contest, and the acceptance and use of the Weekly Prizes or the Grand Prize. The Sponsor and Releasees will not be liable for: (i) any failure of the Contest website during the Contest; (ii) any technical malfunction or other problems relating to the telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, social platforms, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; (iii) the failure of any entry to be received by the Sponsor for any reason, including but not limited to, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; (iv) any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer or other device related to or resulting from participating or downloading any material in the Contest; and/or (v) any combination of the above.
14. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an online entry, online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the person who is assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. An entrant may be required to provide proof (in a form acceptable to the Sponsor, including but not limited to, government issued photo identification) that he/she is the Authorized Account Holder of the email address associated with the selected entry.
15. Any attempt or suspected attempt to use automatic, programmed or otherwise illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by the Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple Facebook accounts, shall be deemed as tampering and may result in disqualification from the Contest and preclusion from participation in future contests and promotions at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Entries that are late, lost, contain false information, are misdirected, garbled or incomplete, or otherwise irregular or that do not confirm with or satisfy any or all of the conditions of the Contest Rules will be considered void.
16. Subject to applicable law, the Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify the Contest Rules or administration of or suspend the Contest in whole or in part without prior notice with no obligation or liability, including if for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, whether due to technical failure, or computer virus, tampering, fraud, or corruption of security or proper administration of the Contest or other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor. In such event, a winner may be selected by randomly drawing from among all valid entries received up to close of the Contest Period.
17. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, and without prior notice, to adjust any of the dates and/or timeframes stipulated in the Contest Rules, to the extent necessary, for purposes of verifying compliance by any entrant and/or entry with the Contest Rules, or as a result of technical problems, or in light of any other circumstances which, in the opinion of the Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, affect the proper administration of the Contest as contemplated in the Contest Rules.
19. All issues and questions concerning the Contest Rules or the rights and obligations of any entrant shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario, without giving effect to its conflict of law rules or provisions. All entrants expressly agree to submit to the laws of and the jurisdiction of the federal and provincial courts of the Province of Ontario, and hereby waive the jurisdiction of any other court that now or in the future could be considered competent for any reason. All actions, proceedings or litigation relating to the Contest shall take place in the Province of Ontario. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of the Contest Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of the Contest Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, the Contest Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
20. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials, the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
21. The Contest is sponsored by ESA, whose principal place of business is at 155 Matheson Blvd., W., Mississauga, Ontario, L5R 3L5.
All federal, provincial, and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.